2020 - 2021 School Year Information
Thank you to our families and staff for your feedback, support, and patience as information is constantly changing the 2020 - 2021 school year. Please find the latest information regarding reopening below.
Instruction Options for Students
Field Middle School and Winkelman Elementary school opened for in-person instruction for students on August 24. A concurrent remote option is also available. However, it is important to note that the current increasing positivity rate in our region may lead to a school shut down, putting all students and staff into remote learning at any time. We urge parents to prepare for this possibility.
What to Do If My Child is Sick
Please follow the latest Illinois Department of Public Health testing guidance that will be used moving forward. View the updated guidance here.
School Reopening Dashboard
District 31 will remain open for school for all students five days a week IF we are able to ensure all elements on our newly developed “dashboard” are green. All of these items are necessary for school to start. The dashboard allows our community to monitor progress for a return to in-person school. View District 31 Dashboard
View Northfield Township Covid-19 Elementary School Local Public Health Dashboard
Bus Cleaning Procedures
Learn about North Shore Transit bus cleaning procedures by watching this short video.
1. Will there be transportation services?
Families may sign up for bus services by August 1 with District 31 partner North Shore Transit. Students will sit one per seat. However, siblings may sit together. This will limit ridership to approximately 24-30 students on a bus. Students will have assigned seats. Students and bus drivers must wear masks on the bus.
2. Does my child have to wear a mask?
All students and staff are required to wear a mask on school grounds. They may take it off outside if social distancing can be maintained and while they are eating.
3. What do I need to do if my child has a health condition that prevents them from wearing a mask?
Students need a doctor’s note in order to be exempt from wearing a mask.
4. Will temperatures be taken when students and staff enter the building?
All students and staff need to self certify EVERY morning that they do not have a temperature or any of the symptoms related to COVID-19. Parents will be able to certify for their children.
5. What will happen if there is a student or staff member with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
We will be assisting with contact tracing and following the guidelines from the Illinois Department of Public Health.
6. If my child is quarantined at home or home recovering from an illness (but able to participate), will they receive instructional support?
We are developing a plan to ensure that students at home will be provided their instruction.
7. What happens if our family is not able to support the time frames detailed in the e-learning plan in terms of a daily schedule?
Contact your building principals or assistant principals in order to set up a meeting so we can determine how best to support your child.
8. What happens if we have a major life change and need to change our school platform (change from distance learning to in-person or vice versa)?
Students should commit to their selected platform until winter break. However, if there is a life change, contact your principal or assistant principal to determine how to best support your child.
9. What are attendance and grading guidelines for the 2020-2021 school year?
ISBE requires compulsory attendance of school for any student enrolled in our programs unless they meet traditional absence requirements. In addition, school grading practices must be adhered to in order to show student progress and progression.
10 Our child may have learning gaps from the Spring 2020. How will you support my child?
We recognize that all students were impacted by the pandemic and have developed assessment protocols and testing in order to determine how to best support students moving forward.
11. How do we find out about specifics of Field and Winkelman programming?
A final handbook is available here. In addition, we encourage you to reach out to your building principal or assistant principal or the appropriate district administrator to get your questions answered.