District 31 Strategic Planning Process
In the spring of 2021, District 31 began the strategic planning process. The foundation for planning for the future requires continuous improvement and rests upon the pillars of mission, vision, values, goals and strategies. Each of these pillars asks a different questions of educators within the system.
Mission: What is our fundamental purpose; why do we exist?
Vision: What must we become in order to accomplish our fundamental purpose?
Core Values: How must we behave to achieve our mission, vision and goals?
Goals: How will we know if we are making a difference?
Strategies: What needs our attention?
(Adapted from DuFour, DuFour, Eaker and Many: Learning By Doing)
Draft Documents from the Strategic Plan Team
- SWOT Analysis
- Draft Strategic Plan: Mission, Vision, Core Values, Portrait of a Graduate, Goals and Strategic
District 31's strategic planning process is outlined below.
Strategic Planning Process
The Consortium for Educational Change (CEC) have been selected to facilitate the strategic planning process. CEC has a wealth of experience in strategic planning and has assisted several of our neighboring communities in the process.
The purpose of the Readiness/Introduction Session is to acquaint the district with the strategic planning process. The Orientation session paints the “The Big Picture” of the strategic planning process so that all strategic planning team members have a shared understanding of the process and their roles and responsibilities in helping the district set clear direction for the future. The purpose of the Data Retreat is to answer the question, “Where are we now?” The purpose of the Visioning Retreat is to answer the question, “Where do we want to be?” The purpose of the Setting Direction Retreat is to answer the question, “How do we get from where we are to where we want to be?” The purpose of the Final Meeting of the strategic plan team is to review feedback from stakeholders on the draft of the new plan and make any refinements to the plan. The district will use a Plan-Do-Study-Act process to develop strategy action plans. Living the plan is a set of critical strategies designed to ensure the strategic plan continues to lead the District in the years to come.
Strategic Planning Team
Team Member Responsibilities
- Attend meetings of the planning team.
- Prepare for each meeting by reading materials aligned to each agenda.
- Conduct a data SWOT analysis of the district by reviewing key data indicators and measures to determine the district’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Develop a shared understanding of the needs of stakeholder groups through a review of an environmental scan or stakeholder satisfaction data.
- Explore research-based, effective practices of high performing districts.
- Review and revise the district’s shared mission, vision, values/commitments and goal.
- Provide suggestions for indicators and measures for long-range goals to define district success.
- Identify key strategy gaps that identify what the district needs to do differently to improve its results over the duration of the plan.
- Present a draft of the plan for stakeholder review and input.
- Revise and finalize the draft of the plan based on stakeholder review and input.
- Recommend the strategic plan to the superintendent.
- Learn about the responsibilities to live the Plan.
Strategic Planning Meetings
- May 10, 2021
Articles for Meeting
Article 1-K-12 Trend Report
Article 2: 9 Elephants in the Classroom
Article 3: Aspen Final Report
Data Retreat - SWOT Analysis Draft
- June 10, 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Agenda
- June 15, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Agenda
- June 16, 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Agenda
Focus Group Stakeholder Engagement Meeting
- July 1, 3 p.m. (staff volunteers) and 7 p.m. (family/community volunteers) Zoom Link
- July 20, 3 p.m. (staff volunteers) and 7 p.m. (family/community volunteers) Zoom Link
Setting Direction Retreat
- July 14, 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Agenda (includes links to all articles, materials and work by the strategic plan team)
- July 15, 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Agenda (includes links to all articles, materials and work by the strategic plan team)
Final Meeting to Review Draft Plan
- July 28, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
2021 Strategic Planning Documents
- Student Growth and Achievement slideshow and handouts
- Culture: Learning and Working Environments slideshow and handouts
- Resources: Finance, Facilities and Technology slideshow and handouts
- Perception Data Information Sheet
- SWOT Analysis Draft
2015/16 - 2021/22 Strategic Plan
View the current strategic plan created in 2015 here.
For questions regarding the Strategic Plan, please contact Dr. Erin Murphy, Superintendent of Schools, at firstname.lastname@example.org.