July 1 Message Superintendent Dr. Erin K. Murphy
July 1, 2019
Dear District 31 Community,
It may be the middle of summer, but our attention in District 31 is on the upcoming school year. As your new Superintendent, I wanted to take this opportunity to express how much I am looking forward to serving the District 31 community in this new role. I count it as a privilege and an honor to begin the next stage of my career in the district I have considered "home" for the past eleven years. I am looking forward to working with and supporting the amazing staff, students and families that make up the District 31 community. I am excited about the new beginning that is ahead of us as we move into the 2019-2020 school year.
I am pleased to welcome two new administrators to District 31.
- Dr. April Miller will be stepping into the Field principal role starting on July 8. To learn more about Dr. Miller please click here.
- Mrs. Jennette Winters is the new District 31 Director of Curriculum and Instruction beginning on July 1. To learn more about Mrs. Winters, please click here.
While the calendar may have just turned to July, there has been a lot happening in District 31.
- Thank you to all the families who have already registered for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have not registered your child(ren) yet, you are encouraged to do so as soon as possible. Knowing who is attending in the fall assists with our planning. If you have questions about registration, click here for more information. Of the next several weeks, the Field and Winkelman offices will begin checking in with families who have not registered yet to see how we can help you with the process. Please note that if a family has not signed up for bus services by August 1, 2019, transportation is not guaranteed for the first days of school. Please contact the office by July 15, 2019, if special financing arrangements are needed.
- The District 31 2019-2020 School calendar has been approved by the Illinois State Board of Education. Click here to view the calendar. Please note that the approved school calendar reflects the draft calendar shared earlier this year.
- One of the new features for the 2019-2020 school calendar is weekly Monday early dismissals. Both Field and Winkelman will be dismissed one hour early (Winkelman-1:40pm and Field-2:30pm) on Mondays. Please click here to find more information about our new early dismissal program.
- District 31 is pleased to announce new science resources and program updates going into place K-8. We recognize how important it is for students to be exposed to rigorous STEM experiences. Click here to read more about the science program updates.
- There are new faces and a new structure for our curriculum department. District 31 will utilize a teacher leader model to help support teachers and enhance the educational experience for students. To learn more about the new and improved curriculum department, click here.
- There is a lot going on inside and out at Field and Winkelman Schools. We are looking forward to having fresh and updated facilities to start the school year. To read a construction update, click here.
- As we race to the school year, we wanted to highlight some important dates. Please click here to get a list of some of the upcoming important dates.
I am looking forward to connecting with the families of District 31 over the next months. Stay tuned for more details. I welcome opportunities to connect so do not hesitate to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-313-4418) if you have any questions or concerns. Have a wonderful Fourth of July holiday and I look forward to sending you more updates and news as we move towards the start of the 2019-2020 school year.
Dr. Erin K. Murphy