Teacher Appreciation Week and May Reminders
May 1, 2020
Dear District 31 Community,
The calendar has flipped another page and the weather is showing glimmers of spring. Let’s all celebrate the coming warmth while staying safe and following the shelter-in-place guidelines!
This next week is Teacher Appreciation Week. Please join me in thanking our teachers for all of their hard work for our students on a daily basis. This has never been more true than during this period of remote learning. The very center of a teacher is their desire to interact and connect with students, and they have not let this season deter them from their goal. I thank our teachers for their adaptability, hard work, and love of our District 31 kids!.
A few other reminders for the upcoming week:
- There are lots of questions about the end of the year, special events (exciting plans are in the works!) and the 2020-2021 school year. The administrative team is working on answers to all of your questions, and in some cases we are awaiting guidance and information from the State of Illinois, local municipalities, and the Illinois State Board of Education to guide our decisions about graduations and other events. We are also collaborating weekly with our fellow township schools. We will be communicating with you frequently as we make decisions or receive guidance.
- Stay tuned for a parent survey about remote learning. We hope to have it out by the end of next week. Your feedback is incredibly important as we continue planning.
- The last day of school via remote learning will be Thursday, June 4. We will be arranging for a materials pick-up/drop-off on June 5, 8, and 9. Please stay tuned for more information and details.
- School nurses will be coordinating with families about any needed medicine pick-up.
- The District 31 Board of Education will be issuing pro-rated bus refunds to families who have paid for bus service. The refund will cover the first day of the school closure (March 16) to the end of the school year. The refunds will be processed by the District office and a check will be mailed home to families.
- While it is difficult to think about next school year, we would like to encourage families to register for the 2020-2021 school year. Early registration discounts have been extended to the end of the school year. However, we understand that it may be challenging to consider paying fees during this time. When registering, a family is welcome to select “check/cash” as the payment option and they will be contacted by the district at a later time to discuss payment options. However, your child will be considered registered at that point, even without payment (which helps the district with planning and sectioning). In addition, our bus company requires us to submit the bus roster by July 1 in order to guarantee route placement for the start of the year. By selecting check/cash, your child can still be signed up for bus service but the payment can be deferred until a later date.
Dr. Erin K. Murphy