July 24 Re-Registration, Re-Opening Dashboard, and More
July 24, 2020
Dear District 31 Community,
Normally July is a quiet month in the world of school districts--focussed on planning and preparation. However, our new world and ever changing conditions means that there is nothing quiet about this July. We appreciate your partnership and patience as we continue to gather information and refine plans...and of course maintain a steady stream of communication to our community. Just yesterday, the Illinois State Board of Education released more guidance about next year and the administrative team is busy digesting this new information.
Please register your child(ren) for In-person or Distance Learning/E-School opportunities. Students must be officially registered in District 31 before families can opt for one of these options. Please re-register here by Monday, July 27. While we know this is a difficult decision, we must have choices selected by families to determine staffing for our schools. In order to help us ensure safety for our students and staff as we plan, we need you to commit to an option until winter break. If there is a life change during this period, we ask that you contact your building principal so we can partner with you to develop solutions. Thank you to the families (about 50%) that have already completed this essential task.
*A handbook and reopening guide will hopefully be released soon.
Substitute Teachers Needed
West Northfield School District 31 is in need of substitute teachers for the 2020-2021 school year. If you or anyone you know is interested, please apply today!
- A Meaningful Career
- Flexible Days
- Family-Friendly Hours
- Starts at $110/ Day ($115/ day after subbing for 10 days in the District)
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and
- is Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools (prekindergarten through grade 12)
- Or holds a valid professional educator license, educator license with stipulations, or paraprofessional license or are in the process of obtaining a license.
Checklist from the State to Become a Substitute Teacher
Fill out an Application
You must have or be in the process of securing a substitute license or have a current PEL license.
A building administrator will contact you after completing the application.
Please direct all questions to Tina Nielsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bus Cleaning Procedures
Learn about North Shore Transit bus cleaning procedures by watching this short video.
Parent and Staff Resources
The SEL task force is committed to providing parents, students and staff continued support this summer and throughout the year. Here are some resources that the SEL Task Force would like to share with you:
- Here is an article full of tips and strategies on helping children cope with changes from Covid19, posted by the National Association of School Psychologists, 2020. This article is called,” Helping children cope with changes resulting from Covid-19”.
- Download a poster on “100 Ways to Reduce Toxic Stress” poster, which is available for download here.
- Here is another article, Countering Coronavirus Stigma and Racism from the National Association of School Psychologists.
- Pre-recorded Webinar, So Now What? Support SEL at Home featuring Jennifer Miller Confident Parents, Confident Kids
- Webinar, Strategies for Educators to Support the Social and Emotional Needs of Students Impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Demand for Racial Justice: Plans for Reopening Schools
- Register for Free: Click the link above to go to the registration page
When: July 29th, 2:00 PM Central (12:00 PM Pacific time is listed)
Physical Health Screening Reminders
Incoming Kindergarten and New Students to District 31 must have:
- Physical and up to date Immunization (Physical must be after August 24 2019, please complete the back parent portion with signature and date. Due October 15, 2020.)
- Eye Exam
- Dental Exam
Incoming 6th Graders must have:
- Physical and up to date Immunizations (Physical must be after August 24 2019, please complete the back parent portion with signature and date. Due October 15, 2020)
- Dental Exam
Sports Participants must have:
- Annual physical required prior to tryouts.
Education Foundation Fundraiser
The District 31 Education Foundation is supporting District 31's safe return to school this fall. With your generous donation, the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided for students, teachers and staff.
There are two ways to help:
1.) Make a financial donation
- Mail a check
- Text D31CARES to 44-321
- Online @ d31edfoundation.org
2.) Donate supplies to the District Office located at 3131 Techny Rd.
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Face Masks / Face Coverings
- Disposable Protective Gloves
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
All donations are tax-deductible
subject to IRS limitations.
Tax I.D. 36-3718993
Reopening Dashboard Update
District 31 will reopen school for all students five days a week IF we are able to ensure all elements on our newly developed “dashboard” are green. All of these items are necessary for school to start. The dashboard will continue to be updated as progress is made.
Dr. Erin K. Murphy