Frozen Jr, Website Survey, PTO Around the World Event, PTO Spirit Wear, Parent Education, Registration, Curriculum and Instruction Update, and Upcoming Events
April 8, 2022
Dear District 31 Community,
Let’s go to the theater! The Field School musical of Frozen Junior takes center stage tonight at 7 p.m. in the Field auditorium with an encore showing tomorrow, Saturday, at 1 p.m. in the auditorium. It is exciting to see our students take to the stage once again and to see our youngest students be introduced (or reintroduced) to musical theater. This 60 minute show is perfect for the whole family. See additional information below.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Dr. Erin K. Murphy
Superintendent of Schools
As part of our strategic plan, West Northfield School District 31 is redesigning our websites to better engage our community. As a first step of the redesign process, we would like your feedback regarding your website usage. Please fill out the survey here. Thank you for your time!
PTO Around the World Fun with District 31 Event
Join us for Around the World Fun with District 31 on Friday, April 29 from 6-8 p.m. at Winkelman! The event is free and open to all D31 families and staff. There will be activity tables representing many countries and cultures, a parade of nations, and performances. RSVP and preorder t-shirts and cookbooks at https://around-the-world-fun-with-d31.cheddarup.com/.
PTO Spirit Wear Drive
The weather may be chilly, but it’s time to “think spring”-- as in spring spirit wear! From now through April 10, get your new Winkelman and Field gear! There are a few old favorites plus new pieces for everyone in the family - tanks, baseball tees, and even blankets! Any questions, email spirit wear chair Megan Kivarkis at email@example.com. Click here to order spirit wear.
Connect 31 Parent Education Opportunities
This week, Erin Kranz, an instructional coach at True North, shares an Inclusion Practices video about emotional health and regulation strategies. View the helpful video here.
Learn more about the education series and find other helpful resources at www.district31.net/ParentEducation.
Registration for the 2022 - 2023 School Year
Registration for the 2022 - 2023 school year is underway for all students. New students should call the district office to prove residency and to get Infosnap information. Learn more at www.district31.net/registration.
If you have any registration questions, you may stop by the District Office between 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday. If you cannot come during the scheduled times, please call 847-313-4416 to schedule an appointment.
Register for Little Wildcat Preschool by emailing Anabel Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum and Instruction Update
District 31 supports the Fine and Applied Arts Department in our Field course offerings.
- Art: students are provided a wide variety of material experiences to expose them to different techniques and types of art, including the digital art realm that encompasses many of today's careers in the art field. Students explore everything from drawing and painting to clay, graphic design, and digital animation.
- Spanish: 6th graders are reading a novel this month. 7th graders are studying idiomatic expressions. 8th graders are working on core vocabulary.
- Music: students are learning about guitars, basses, and ukuleles this quarter. Students will be exploring chords, strum patterns, tablature, and standard notation by studying songs from all around the world.
- Family and Consumer Science: Students use 4 full kitchen stations for a spectrum of culinary activities that align with the National Family and Consumer Science Standards. In addition to cooking and the culinary arts, the program utilizes 20 Janome sewing machines. 6th graders explore sewing and the engineering of different stitching concepts that support both repair and new construction sewing projects.
- STEM: Students are exploring different elements of physics and will later apply them to an engineering project.
Media Center: The library is a place of learning and relaxing. Students and staff take advantage of the space both with their class and individually.
Important Dates and Upcoming Events
Field Musical Frozen JR.
Friday, April 8 at 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 9 at 1 p.m.
*Door will open 30 minutes before each performance.
Cost: No tickets are being sold but donations will be accepted .
Autism Training and Technical Assistance (ATTA) Monthly Webinar - We’re Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation
Tuesday, April 12 from 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
In We’re Not Broken, Eric Garcia uses his own life as a springboard to discuss the social and policy gaps that exist in supporting those on the spectrum.
No School - Recognition of Good Friday
Friday, April 15
Board of Education Meeting
Tuesday, April 19
No School - Recognition of Orthodox Good Friday
Friday, April 22
PTO Restaurant Fundraiser at La Taquiza
Wednesday, April 27
PTO Presents Around the World Fun with District 31
Friday, April 29